Carey Mulligan is learning how to play the violin.
The British actress is having lessons on how to perfect the string instrument for her upcoming role as Florence Ponting in ‘On Chesil Beach’, which starts shooting in September.
The movie will be directed by Sam Mendes, and is based on the Ian McEwen novel about a young, newly married couple in the early 60s, who remain virgins until their wedding night.
Daily Mail columnist Baz Bamigboye reports: “Carey’s Florence is leader of a string quartet, who dreams of giving recitals at Wigmore Hall, and next week the actress will begin working with a violin teacher so at least she can look as if she knows how to handle the instrument when she’s playing her scales and arpeggios.
“She’s just the right actress to tackle Florence, a woman who comes alive when she’s performing Beethoven’s Opus 18, but who is desperate to be free of her husband’s sexual desires.”
The movie will be the first film Sam has shot in Britain, and the script has been adapted for the big screen by author Ian.
- Florence Welch says her style is inspired by her “old English teacher”
- Florence Welch has given up drinking on tour
- Florence Welch’s late grandmother inspired one of her new songs
- Keri Hilson had to “fight” to keep her voice
- Leonardo DiCaprio likes playing “complicated” characters
» Angelina Jolie: She looks rough in her new movie “Salt”