Reese Witherspoon is backing a campaign to halt violence against women.
The 34-year-old actress – who has two children, 11-year-old daughter Ava and seven-year-old son Deacon, with ex-husband Ryan Phillippe – is backing cosmetic firm Avon’s new empowerment charm bracelet, which is being sold for £5 in the UK to raise funds for domestic violence charities Refuge, Women’s Aid and Unifem and marks the centenary of International Women’s Day today (08.03.11).
Reese, who is an Avon Global Ambassador and Honorary Chair of the Avon Foundation for Women, said: “Although the problem may seem insurmountable, there are ways for women and men everywhere to help bring an end to violence against women across the globe.
“The Avon Empowerment Bracelet is a simple, but powerful, way to raise funds to reduce violence against women. As a woman and as a mother, I urge you to join me on this very special anniversary of International Women’s Day to end this epidemic by wearing and giving the bracelet to friends and family.”
To date, Avon’s empowerment jewellery has helped raise over £11 million for domestic violence charities worldwide, including £400,000 to UK organisations.
- Reese Witherspoon: She thinks actresses aren’t supportive enough
- Beyonce: She is “afraid of women who don’t have friends”
- Cheryl Cole: Why her mother is her role model
- Haiti Charity: Madonna, Beyonce Knowles and Tom Cruise
- Sarah Jessica Parker admits she should “let” her husband do more in their home
» Charlie Sheen: He wants to marry a tree