The ‘Russian Roulette’ singer – who endured a turbulent year after being assaulted by her now ex-boyfriend Chris Brown in February – was amazed by Lady Gaga’s continuous stream of hits over the year.
Rihanna said: “Lady Gaga has a very bold, fearless image and, I have to say, I have so much respect for original artists who aren’t afraid to do what they do. That’s what I respect the most. She’s awesome.”
The 21-year-old singer recently admitted 2009 had been the toughest year of her life because of the attack, which left her with cuts and bruises and emotionally traumatised.
But Rihanna hoped one good thing to come out of the incident was that her fans would be able to see that no one’s life is perfect.
She said: “Before, young girls thought my life was perfect. Now they realise it’s not. Nobody’s perfect. I’m living the same human life that they are, just with a more public career.
“The assault came at the end of an incredible year for me, career-wise. Now I kind of look back on it as the beginning of a new era, almost like it was a wake-up call for me. It was a massive turning point for me in my life.”
- Lady Gaga tells teenagers not to have sex
- Lady Gaga would never have sex early in a relationship
- Mel C: She has blasted Rihanna for being too sexual in her videos and on stage
- Lady Gaga: She gets emotional when she sings the song about her ex-boyfriend
- Lady Gaga: She believes she has “two souls”
» Madonna: £6 million for a horse?